Friday 17 October 2008



Lots to write about and show tonight. A much loved great aunt was 90 very recently. I dithered for some time about what to get her. Apart from being a very keen knitter, she leads a very simple life. She'd already told my mother that she had drawers full of gift toiletries, doesn't particularly like plants and as she's very mildly diabetic, isn't supposed to have chocolates etc (not that that stops her very much!). Some relatives were getting her M & S vouchers - she does enjoy shopping, but I recalled that she loves receiving cross stitched and handmade cards. Quite often when we go to visit, the cards will be up for a while as she enjoys looking at them, and as she knits, appreciates the craft behind them so to speak. She had previously given me some embroidery threads, so it was a choice between something cross stitched or a home made quilt. In the end, I decided to make a pretty sampler, that I had quite fancied myself, from a design by the late Sheila Hudson. I've stitched several of her pieces over the years - she mainly did floral pieces and nearly all without any backstitch, and usually without fractionals, which although I can do, I really am not too keen on. The pattern was from Cross Stitcher April 2004.


The sampler is stitched on a pale lavender aida fabric, and I used a variegated pink thread for the lettering on the bottom. When it was finished, it was washed and pressed and then I took it to the framer. Picked it up yesterday and am very pleased with it. The frame is a light simple one, with a limewash finish. I wanted to go with a light, almost rustic feel. Anything more complex would have looked fussy, I think. The glass is non-reflective.


On a side note, I try and always wash all but the very smallest pieces of cross-stitch before pressing and finishing. This ensures the removal of any oils or grease from my hands. I use a product from Lakeland, a lavender scented wash for delicates, that does not require rinsing. It's perfect for the light hand wash in warm water I give to my stitching. The fabric is then gently squeezed and placed to dry on a soft white towel. I then iron it gently to remove any creases. Going through this ritual ensures the fabric and stitches look, smell and feel at their best. The fragrance is very delicate and pleasant. Stitching this sampler was very enjoyable, and I really hope my auntie likes it when we give it to her tomorrow.

No comments: