Firstly, I've not been able to post any updates on my dear little felt bag, because I've not been able to finish it. Just after my last post, I caught my finger around one of the dog's leads, and it wrenched. Subsequently, it's been painful and I've not been able to hand sew or cross stitch, and writing with a pen has also been painful and difficult. In the first week or so, even holding a knife was hard. It's finally getting better, so I think I should finish it very soon and will then post pics - it really is adorable.
Since then there's been quite a bit to share. I've just finished a quilt but haven't yet photographed it, so will save that for another post. Some birthday cards - first up. The first card shown is one I made for Andrew's 40th birthday which was on the weekend. I started with a plain white card blank, then added some dark blue linen textured card. Layered on top of this was a turquoise card which I had embossed through the Sizzix Bigshot machine, giving it a nice texture. Then I added another panel, which I had previously decorated using alchohol inks in a random splodgy, swirly pattern, with silver metallic bits randomly added too. On this card, I used some Tim Holtz rubber stamps, added in black ink, and finally I added some adhesive blue butterflies. Unfortunately the metallic splodges haven't photographed very well - the effect in real life is gorgeous. Importantly, the recipient was very pleased with it.
The second card was for Roger, Andrew's dad, whose birthday is the day after Andrew's. I started with a plain gold square card, and layered on a piece of K & Co patterned paper. Then I took a piece of paper and ran it through the Sizzix using a new die, giving the square with the bobbly edges. Once I had the basic shape, I gently sponged the paper with green ink and sprayed it with the Glitz spritz using the silver and emerald colours. These were dried with a heat gun and finally I stamped it, using the pear stamp I got from Blade Rubber up in London, back in March and a small message saying Happy Birthday. Immediately after stamping, I brushed some gold Perfect Pearls over the pears which gave it a gorgeous shimmer. The last step was to add some leaf shaped brads to the corner holes of the square. Unfortunately the photo didn't come out very well, and I only realised this after I had posted the card, so was unable to redo it.
The third card was a thank you card for the tutor on the Kennel Club course I have recently done with Boola (full details on my other blog). I started with a plain white card, then added a layer of green linen textured card. On a piece of plain white card, I gently sponged some distress inks over the background then stamped it using several botanical images in different colours, mainly in an autumnal palette. Finally, using a brad, I attached a Tim Holtz Adage Ticket, in this case saying "Soar" which seemed appropriate for a teacher. Lastly, I gave the whole card a gentle spritz with a glitz spritz which added a subtle shimmer.
Finally, I have just finished making the place cards for the family party we are hosting this coming weekend. There will be nine of us round the table in a joint birthday celebration for Andrew, Roger and Booty. Given Booty's fondness for squirrels, we decided that would be a great theme, so I spent ages scouring the net for squirrel themed craft goodies. Eventually I was able to find some squirrel dies that could be used in my machine so I ordered them. For each card, I started with a folded base card of a pewter wood effect card (this seemed entirely appropriate!). Next, I added a cream card that was embossed and then brushed with a distress ink gently, this had the effect of picking up the raised embossing. On top of this I layered up a piece of patterned K & Co card from the Wild Saffron range, then on top of that I added a printed name which I had printed out on the computer. On the right side of each name, I added a couple of die cut leaves or nuts, in autumnal shades of brown and green. On the left hand side was the squirrrel. Each squirrel had to be diecut in two parts, body and tail and this was done on orange paper, which I then gently shaded using a brown ink. The squirrel's eye was a black adhesive pearl and the final touch was to add a little orange glitter glue. I'm very happy with the finished article and they should add a nice festive touch to the party.