Sunday 25 January 2009


This is not going to be a very inspiring post. My cold has decided to take a turn for the worse, and I am not a terribly good patient. Didn't sleep very well last night, and have spent the day shuffling about, sneezing, coughing, eyes watering, neck aching and generally feeling like death warmed up. I've postponed my physio session tomorrow, as it's not fair on him, and I feel awful anyway.

This evening, I made a stack of get well cards, mainly as virtually everyone I know seems to be ill or recovering at the moment. Illnesses range in severity but I can't remember a time when I have known so many people to be poorly simultaneously. I don't generally like photographing get well cards - in the same way I don't with sympathy cards after a bereavement. The subject matter generally seems to be too sensitive to be placed on a blog and the card dissected. Maybe this is a bit over sensitive - I don't know. Sympathy cards are hell to make, not just because of the subject matter, but it almost seems wrong to be sending a beautiful hand made card - it feels like I'm saying "Look at the card" rather than concentrating on the sentiments it should convey. Recipients of card have often told me that in fact they value and appreciate a handmade card, and the skill conveyed, but it still doesn't stop me feeling awkward, and in the very rare times I buy a card, it is always a sympathy one. One other consideration in favour of a hand made one, no matter how sombre, is that the range of sympathy cards on sale (like get well cards) is surprisingly limited. When I had cancer, I was surprised by how many duplicate cards I received, and I know this is also the case for sympathy cards. I hasten to add this in no way diminished my appreciation of the sentiments, just an observation.

Anyway, after all that kerfuffle, what did I do today? I sat and cross stitched, that's what, swaddled in layers of fleece blankets, while Andrew went running with the dogs. I did have forty winks on the sofa, mainly because I didn't sleep very well last night. I made a small "Thank You" design - it's not destined for anyone in particular, but I like to keep a supply of these types of cards made up, ready for when needed. I used a variegated thread, in hues of blue and lilac for the main circle and added some seed beads to the centre of the flower. The original pattern suggested using black thread for the backstitch (for the lettering) but I thought it would look far too harsh so used a deep petrol blue thread instead. I then mounted on a little card blank (one of the set received free from a magazine) and added a row of adhesive ribbon along the bottom and voila! All ready.


Once that was complete, I stitched a very small design on 16 count aida (I normally stitch on 14)of three rosebuds. These are going to be mounted on an ATC for a Valentine's swap, so I will photograph these when fully loaded, so to speak.

No comments: