Monday 16 June 2008


As promised, an update on the Fathers day card I made for my FIL. On June 7th I went to a craft workshop at Inkspot on using Fantasy Film and Fantasy Fibre, and was eager to incorporate one or the other. Fantasy Film didn't lend itself to any obvious themes for him, so I decided to make a card decoration out of Fantasy Fibre. After the workshop, I had bought two little pots of the Fibre, one in a pretty lilac and the other in a lovely deep bronze/green colour. That seemed to be promising, and I had in my card stock a nice deep bronze square card and envelope. So I made a kind of random shape with the fibre and used it as a backing for the centrepiece. With the strong colours and textures, I decided that a simple approach would be best. As you can see from the picture I layered an initial R (his name is Roger) on some layered cardstock, with small brads in the corners. The coloured card is mounted on Mirri board to give it a bit of pzazz. I was pleased with the finished article.
My next workshop is this coming Saturday, again at Inkspot, when I'm booked in for a session on Shrink Plastic. It looks a fascinating technique but I am a bit nervous of trying it, so hopefully a session with a tutor will be the equivalent of stabilisers on a bike.
Some other good news - Busy Bees called during the week. They have a series of one and half day quilting workshops over the summer, after their main class programme has finished. One of these is a half day session about making a chicken. I had put my name down for it when I was attending classes, but the list had filled. However, the session was proving so popular that they were considering holding an overflow class. Fortunately, this is now the case and I'll be attending in August. My DH was rather bemused to give the message "The chicken is GO" but he's used to me now, after nearly eleven years and has learned not to be surprised by many things.

No comments: