Tuesday 25 March 2008

Much to write about since my last post. Again apologies for the hiatus in posting. Firstly, we had the final session of our quilting class on the 19th. It was as enjoyable as usual, as Marianne went through some of the sashing and finishing tips and techniques. I have put myself on the waiting list for one of the summer classes, making a log cabin chicken. I also went mad and decided to treat myself to some fabric. I bought the sashings for the class quilt, and keen readers will recall that I wanted to make a purple quilt for my friend's Gothic daughter. So I picked up an exciting assortment of purple fabrics, covered in stars and unicorns. I am looking forward to making this up into a nice lap quilt for when she is up in her room, on the Internet late at night, as her house is not the warmest, being in an exposed position, on a bleak hillside in deepest Carmarthenshire. I also succumbed to the lure of a couple of charm packs - I am going to make a nice lap quilt with these, which will probably be for me, although I might give it away, dither dither. The fabric selection is a new Moda range called At the Water's Edge - very soft, faded corals, tans and duck egg blues, with some dusty yellows. Very restful, tranquil shades, and beautiful patterns. In spite of these calling to me, I have refused to even enter the room where they are stored as I've been focused on the Easter dog show.

By the day of the show, I had accumulated nearly 200 cards that I had steadily been making for the past couple of months. They were organised into a range of drawers from my craft unit in the spare bedroom, and I took some quilting fabric as a tablecloth. Andrew made me up a stand-up price list. At the show, my table was next to the face painting lady, so lots of children. The Easter weather was atrocious, with sleet, snow and rain, all in a biting wind. Sadly, this affected visitor numbers, but those who did attend were very positive about the cards. I think the stall raised about £35, and I am waiting to hear how much was raised by the whole event. A fellow greyhound supporter has seen and liked the cards, and it is now possible that we may trial having some of them on sale at their hair salon. If this raises any extra funds for greyhounds, this would be wonderful. It was lovely at the show to see lots of hounds, looking happy and beautiful. We dithered about taking our two but decided that as Andrew was helping in the kitchen, and I was on a stall, it would probably be better if they stayed at home.

The next job is to finish tidying the spare bedroom, and I want to photograph my jelly roll quilt as it is being presented to its new owner this Friday. So normal and more frequent service should be resumed soon.

No comments: