Friday 1 February 2008

That Friday feeling




Quilting on Wednesday was good but exhausting. We were learning Foundation piecing, a crucial technique. It was difficult to get my head around it at first, but Marianne, our wonderful tutor, kept going so gently and patiently that by the end of the evening we had begun to understand it.


I have uploaded some ATCs that I have recently made on the theme of patchwork and also a recently made card. The ATCs were made by chopping up a combination of some new K & Co papers plus I used some stamps to stamp images which were then coloured in using Twinkling H2Os. For those who don't know, these are paints which have a subtle mica based shimmer and are in a fabulous range of colours. The stamped images were heat embossed with some new powders I have been trying (from QVC) called Moonglow - again, a shimmery effect. The randomly sized pieces were applied to the card base, then in each case I added a subtly different topping, including brads, stickers, ribbons and die cuts. I am very pleased with them, and look forward to seeing what I receive back, which is always intriguing with these swops.


The card I made is a pink card blank, covered with a piece of the new K & Co paper, topped by a stamped image which was then coloured in using Twinkling H2O. I trimmed it neatly and added it to the base paper, then finished it with a Lakeland card topper. I'm pleased with this too, and think it will probably be sent to someone rather than going to the shop. Latest box of cards was sent to the shop yesterday.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Foundation or paper piecing is great to master because you can do such wee-tiny blocks so accurately. Although, I have to admit on my first projects I would sometimes carefully cut a patch, position, sew and flip it and THEN discover that I hadn't made it big enough, or accidentally flipped it mirror image when I cut it out so the wide parts wouldn't be where they were needed, etc. No daydreaming allowed when foundation piecing!